Skip to content

Your health information

How do I make a subject access request?

You can make a subject access request in writing or verbally.


Access to Records Officer
Tavistock Centre
120 Belsize Lane
London, NW3 5BA

Phone: 020 8938 2335

We may need to confirm your identity first. You don’t need to tell us the reason for your request.

What information do you need from me?

Details to help us locate the information you want to see

Please tell us what information you want to see and what period it covers, plus any other information that will help us to identify your record and the information you want to see.  If you have changed your name or moved address, please also include your name and address when you were a patient.  Please include your date of birth and your NHS Number if you have a record of it. 

We may also ask for evidence of your identity

We will tell you if we need evidence of your identity.  If you are not a current patient, we will usually ask for evidence of your identity.   

We will accept the following:

  • Passport
  • Photocard Driving License with Counterpart
  • Birth certificate
  • Gender Recognition Certificate
  • Medical card
  • National ID Card (for non-UK Nationals)

Plus one of the following:

  • Council tax statement or bill
  • Current notification letter from HMRC
  • Current notification letter from the DWP
  • Hospital letter, showing your NHS Number
  • Current state pension notification letter
  • Utility bill, or bank statement or credit card statement
  • Mortgage statement
  • Certificate of motor insurance

Can someone else make the request for me?

Yes, you can ask someone else to request access to your records for you. They will need to tell us their relationship to you, for example, your parent/guardian, independent mental health advocate or solicitor.  We will also need your consent for the disclosure to them, and evidence of their identity.   

We will also accept requests from someone representing you under a Lasting Power or Attorney or from the Court of Protection.

How long does it take?

Once we have confirmed your identity, we normally have one calendar month to provide the information to you.  If your request is complex or involves a lot of information, we are allowed up to an extra two months to consider your request and prepare the information for you.  We will let you know within the first month if this is likely to be the case.

Can I see all the information from my records?

We may not be able to send you all the information you have asked to see.  We are not able to disclose information about third party unless it is appropriate for us to obtain their consent.  We may consider withholding information that could cause you or another person serious harm. 

We may refuse a request we find to be manifestly unfounded or excessive

How will the information be given to me?

We can send the information to you by secure email, unless you tell us you want to receive the information by post or collection in person. 

Access to a child/young person’s record

If you are aged 13 or over, you can request access to your own records.  If you are younger than this but have the capacity to understand your records, we may still provide access directly to you. 

If you have parental responsibility and your child is under 13 and/or lacks the capacity to understand their records, you can request access to your child’s record directly.  If your child is over 13 and has capacity, we will require their consent.  We may withhold information where we consider this to be in the child’s best interest or where there is information about other people. 

What if I don’t agree with something on my record?

You can ask us to correct the record and we will either amend the information as requested or add your comments regarding the information you feel is incorrect. 

This is your right to rectification.

How to complain

If you are unhappy about how we have dealt with your request for information or with any of the information we hold about you, please write to our Data Protection Officer at  The matter will be investigated and if you are still unhappy after that, you have a right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office at