Family mental health
We support the emotional health and wellbeing of children, young people and their families.
Our team provides child and adolescent mental health services (CAMHS) to children up to the age of 18 and their families, who live outside of Camden.
We assess and treat a wide range of emotional and behavioural problems including:
- low mood
- school problems with behaviour and learning
- attention and concentration difficulties, and social-communication problems
- sleeping and toileting issues
We also work with difficulties in parenting, and issues caused by parental separation.
We are experienced in working with complex issues, for example with families where courts or other agencies are involved. We aim to ensure that all of the agencies around the child work together.
Assessment and treatment
We provide a range of treatments such as:
- child psychotherapy
- family therapy
- cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
- couples therapy
- interpersonal therapy (IPT)
- eye movement desensitization and reprocessing (EMDR)
- group therapy, including Parents as Partners (PasP)
- narrative therapy
- nonviolent resistance groups (NVR)
- video-feedback intervention to promote positive parenting (VIPP)
We are a multidisciplinary team. This means we have experts from different specialties who work together to assess and treat our patients. Our team includes psychiatrists, clinical and educational psychologists, child psychotherapists, family therapists, nurses, IAPT practitioners and social workers.
We have contracts with Barnet, Haringey Islington Brent and Enfield, and can also see patients from other Boroughs on arrangement.
Children and young people aged up to 18, with emotional or behavioural difficulties.
We accept referrals from GPs and other professionals such as health visitors, schools and social services.
If you don't have a Barnet, Enfield or Haringey GP your local borough might need to agree for you to be seen here. You're welcome to contact us directly to make sure that we are the best service to approach, before you go ahead and ask your GP for a referral here.
Electronic Referral Service
Please be aware that GPs who can refer directly to Tavistock & Portman services are now able to refer to a Referral Assessment Service (RAS) via the Electronic Referral Service.
To locate the service on eRS, enter the following in the search fields:
Service name: Children, Young Adults and Family – Tavistock & Portman NHSFT
Speciality: Mental Health – Child and Adolescent
Clinic Type: Not Otherwise Specified
Organisation of Site Name field: Tavistock and Portman
020 8938 2241
Tavistock Centre, 120 Belsize Lane, London NW3 5BA
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
- Child psychotherapy
- Child psychotherapy - information for children
- Dynamic interpersonal therapy (DIT)
- Eye movement desensitization and reprocessing (EMDR)
- Family therapy
- Family therapy - information for children
- Group therapy
- Video-feedback intervention to promote positive parenting and sensitive discipline (VIPP-SD)
- Couples therapy
- Working with parents