We are an integrated service for disabled children, young people and their families in Camden. 

Camden MOSAIC provides support for children from birth to the age of 19. 

We have high aspirations for children and young people with severe disabilities and complex needs, including sensory impairments. We aim to help them join in with all aspects of school, leisure and community activities. We aim to prepare them for adult life by supporting their independence and involvement in all decisions that affect them.

We believe this can be achieved by:

  • working with families to develop a greater understanding of their child’s needs and to agree a plan that is reviewed over time
  • making sure that relevant services are available to all children, young people and families based on their individual needs
  • listening to and learning from the experiences of children, young people and families who use the service
  • being a community resource that shares specialist knowledge and skills with families, other organisations and the wider community

Where we think a child may be at risk of harm, we have a legal duty to carry out enquiries to assess the child’s wellbeing.


Assessment involves up to three appointments where you and your child meet with two members of our team. 

At the end of the assessment we write a report to summarise the services we have agreed to arrange. We work with you to include your views and you are given a copy of the report.

We aim to meet you and your child for the first time within eight weeks of referral. We can meet you at Camden MOSAIC, home, nursery or school.

We can arrange for an interpreter if you need one (you don’t have to pay for this).

Social communication assessment service

If your child has difficulties with communication, imagination, relationships and flexibility we may see them for a social communication assessment. If your child is found to have an autism spectrum disorder we give you and your child information and support. We make sure that other professionals who know your child are told about this diagnosis.


Social care

After your child has been assessed we can help you make contact with voluntary groups and other organisations that may be able to offer advice or support. This can include schools, health services, housing services, benefit agencies or other local authorities.

We may also be able to organise a short break for you and your child, where your child can experience a range of new activities. The break might be at home or at a family centre. We may be able to arrange links for you with other families. 

If you are not eligible to apply for social care services from the disabled children’s team, you may be able to apply for other social care services from Camden Council

You may also be able to get Disability Living Allowance. We can refer you for help and advice to apply for this.

Family information and support

We work closely with KIDS, a charity that provides home learning for children under five and key workers to support families.

Parents forum and MOSAIC inTouch magazine

We support the Camden special parents forum and carers in Camden to socialise, share stories and support each other. We also publish MOSAIC inTouch, a free quarterly magazine that features stories, news and relevant information for forum members.


As children grow up, their needs change. Changes in your family can also affect their needs. We therefore like to keep up to date with you and your family. 

Every so often, at a time agreed with you, we meet you to check the services we have provided are working well. If your child’s needs have changed, your keyworker conducts a review to show where we need to make changes to the services you receive. 

Register of disabled children and young people in Camden 

Local authorities keep a register of disabled children and young people in their area. 

For the Camden register children and young people must be under 18  years old, have a home address in Camden and have a permanent and substantial disability in one or more of the following categories:

  • learning disabilities
  • physical disability
  • visual impairment
  • hearing impairment
  • speech and language impairment
  • chronic ill-health
  • autism spectrum disorder

Emotional and behavioural conditions are not included.

Further support

Find out more about the support available for children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities, and their families, on the Camden Council website.


Our team is made up of a range of different professionals.

Child psychiatrists: are doctors who assess and treat the mental health of children and young people.

Clinical psychologists: assess children’s intellectual development and support their emotional development, behaviour and learning.

Child psychotherapists: explore children’s feelings and beliefs, to promote family relationships and wellbeing.

Community nurses: promote positive health and can support you to attend medical appointments and with medication. Community nurses can also offer advice around healthy living and positive wellbeing. 

Family support workers: help children and families to deal with behavioural, social or emotional issues.

Family therapists: help to improve relationships between the disabled child, family members and professionals; they meet with family members, including siblings, to support them in how having someone with a disability in the family affects their lives.

Occupational therapists: help children develop day-to-day skills, such as eating, sitting and toileting. They can provide specialist equipment when necessary.

Paediatric dietitians: provide advice about food and special diets.

Paediatricians: assess how children are developing.

Physiotherapists: try to develop children’s physical skills and movement, providing equipment when necessary.

Social workers: help ensure that the needs of the child or young person are being met and that the risks of any harm to them are minimised.

Specialist health visitors: meet with families to discuss their needs and the needs of their child. They can provide information about local and national services, including nappies and continence pads. They can also advise on access to special needs dental care.

Speech and language therapists: help children develop effective verbal and nonverbal communication, and also help children who have difficulties eating and swallowing.

Disabled children and young people up to the age of 19, who live in Camden.

We accept referrals from GPs and other health and education professionals who know your child's special needs well.

020 8938 2241 or 020 3317 2200

Kentish Town Health Centre, 2 Bartholomew Road, London NW5 2BX