Why study with us?
Education and training at the Tavistock and Portman is distinctive. We are one of very few providers in the UK that can offer education within an NHS mental health clinical setting. Those that treat our pateints, teach our students and this means that our students can get access to real-time, real-life case studies.
All of our courses are carefully developed and delivered by our clinician-tutors. This ensures that the education you receive is relevant and up to date. Our training takes place in an NHS clinic across seminar rooms, a lecture theatre and consulting rooms.
more, our students regard our education as “gold
standard” and 93% would recommend our courses to a friend or colleague.
We are reviewed by the UK's Quality body for Higher Education, the Quality Assurance Agency (QAA) regularly to ensure that the standards expected of Higher Education providers are met and upheld.
The QAA has found that the Tavistock and Portman NHS Foundation Trust meets expectations in all of the key areas: academic standards; student learning opportunities; quality of the information about learning opportunities; and the enhancement of student learning opportunities. The QAA also identified good practice in the following areas:
- the systematic integration of academic study and clinical practice within the taught elements of the Trust's provision which enhances the students' learning experiences (Expectation B3)
- the provision of online access to library and study skills resources enables student development and achievement (Expectation B4)
- the centralised process for approval of assessment tasks and allocation of marking to ensure equivalence across all national centres (Expecation B6)
- the strategic intervention to enable, support and promote the use of Technology Enhanced Learning (TEL) across the provision, including the incorporation of library and TEL staff on core Trust committees which makes a significant contribution to the enhancement of student learning (Enhancement).
A number of our courses are accredited and recognised by the main professional bodies in the mental health sector. These include:
- Association of Child Psychotherapists (ACP)
- Association of Family Therapists (AFT)
- The British Psychanalytic Council (BPC)
- British Psychological Society (BPS)
The majority of our courses are validated by the University of Essex. A small number are validated by the University of East London or Middlesex University.
We are delighted to offer accessible, flexible and personalised education and training to those of varying levels of expertise within the mental health and social care sectors. You may want to come to us as you want to change career and feel confident that you will gain the education and clinical training you require. You may already work in your chosen career and have a desire to upskill and keep your training up to date.
If you can't study with us in London, we have carefully selected partners in our national centers across the UK, and Europe. We are also happy to offer blended and online learning where you can achieve your goals by working online and in the classroom.