International students

The Tavistock and Portman NHS Foundation Trust has a long and valued tradition of offering training to mental health professionals from overseas. We are proud to both invite students from across the world to our base in London, and also to deliver education across the globe in different settings.

Students talking

At the Tavistock and Portman we welcome students from around the globe. If you are from a European Union country and are currently studying with us or about to begin one of our courses, you may have a number of questions or concerns following the recent EU referendum vote.

In the short term, we would like to reassure potential and current students that barring unilateral action from the UK government, the vote to leave the European Union does not mean there will be any immediate material change to the immigration status of current and prospective EU students. We want to reassure you that nothing will change for the 2018/19 academic year.

We appreciate that this is an uncertain and unsettling time. We will be working hard to ensure you are kept informed of any changes should there be any.

We are able to offer Tier 4 visas to international students who meet the UK Visas and Immigration pre-determined criteria.  When you apply for your course, you must let us know if you are an international student and will require a Tier 4 visa. Please see our guidance notes here. The Tier 4 visa process is governed to us by the UK Government and regulations are subject to change. We strongly advise that you keep up to date with the rules and regulations via the UKVI website.

Once you have been accepted onto a course, we can start the process of issuing you with your CAS number which you need in order to apply for a Tier 4 visa. Please note that the full process can take up to three months so we advise international applicants to apply as early as they can.

The UK Visas and Immigration website has a lot of information for international students.

If you require further information about our visa process, please contact our overseas student office.

All our courses delivered in the UK will be delivered and assessed in UK English. Where your first language is not English, you must meet our entry requirements in respect of English language competence and have at least IELTs 6.5 or equivalent level to gain admission to our courses.

During the application process you will have the opportunity to upload any English language certificates that you hold.

Each of our course pages show the fee for international students.

In accordance with Home Office guidelines,  fees for students undertaking degree programmes who are nationals of countries outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland are higher than those for UK/EEA/Swiss students. 

The definition of an international student is:

(a)  A student who has not been ordinarily resident in the UK throughout the three year period preceding 1 September, 1 January or 1 April closest to the beginning of the first term of his/her course;


(b)  the student has been resident therein, during any part of that three year period, wholly or mainly for the purpose of receiving full-time education; 


(c) at the date referred to in (a) above the student has no settled status in the United Kingdom.

Countries in the EU and EE

The European Union (EU) is an economic and political union of 28 countries. It operates an internal (or single) market which allows free movement of goods, capital, services and people between member states.

The EU countries are:

Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Republic of Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and the UK.

The European Economic Area (EEA)

The EEA includes EU countries and also Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway. It allows them to be part of the EU’s single market.

Switzerland is neither an EU nor EEA member but is part of the single market - this means Swiss nationals have the same rights to live and work in the UK as other EEA nationals. 

Please see full details on the website.

We are delighted to welcome students from all over the world to the Tavistock and Portman.  As an international student, you have the following options and they will depend on your qualifications and the type of training you’re interested in:

1. Joining a full-time course

You can enrol on one of our full-time on-site courses, lasting from one to four years. Some of these require prior qualifications, but others don’t. Please see the 'entry requirements' on each course page.

2. Joining as a clinical associate

As a clinical associate, you may undertake supervised clinical work in one of our directorates, on a full-time or part-time basis, to add to your experience and qualifications.

You will need to hold a recognised professional qualification - eg. as a psychiatrist, psychologist or social worker – have appropriate (clinical and other) work experience, and pass an interview, which includes assessing your personal suitability and fluency in English.

To apply, please write to the head of the relevant Tavistock clinical directorate with your enquiry.

3. Joining as a programme associate

If you are a professional whose clinical qualifications are not recognised in the UK, but you are interested in furthering your understanding of our approaches, you can become a programme associate. This provides access to an agreed programme of study, including lectures, seminars and workshops, but excludes clinical work. 

4.Visitors’ programmes

We are able to arrange visitors’ programmes for groups and individuals for single days or up to one or two weeks. These are usually arranged by specific clinical department managers. 

Joining a visitors’ programme enables you to attend Trust lectures or seminars and some specific training events designed to meet your needs. You can find out more from our clinical departments. Fees will depend on the programme proposed. Please see more on Visitors programme page.

We have a growing distance and e-learning portfolio, making it easier for you to access our training, wherever you are in the world. We teach some of our longer courses virtually as well as a number of CPD courses.

View our online courses here.

Share this page