Brexit information for EU & EEA and Swiss Nationals

Last updated: May 2021

At the Tavistock and Portman we welcome students from around the globe. If you are from a European Union country and are currently studying with us, or considering one of our courses, you may have a number of questions or concerns around Brexit.

Open day rainbow.png

Brexit transition information for EU, EEA and Swiss Nationals

The Brexit transition period ended on 31st December 2020.  If you are an EU, EEA or Swiss national, it is important that you understand how this impacts your ability to study with us.  You may need to take action to secure your status, if you have not done so already. 

Please select one of the following to understand how the end of the Brexit transition will affect you: 

If you have a Pre-settled or Settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme (EUSS) then you will be able to continue to live, work and study in the UK without restrictions whilst you hold valid Pre-Settled/Settled Status.  

You will not be required to take any further action to regulate your immigration permission to be in the UK.  

You can read more information about The EU Settlement Scheme here.

If you are currently in the UK but have not yet applied for the EU Settlement Scheme and want to remain in the UK ,you will need to have permission to remain in the UK.  This will need to be either through the EU Settlement Scheme, or through another category of the Immigration Rules, that are now in place.   

Applications to the EU Settlement Scheme are currently free and for more information on how to apply under the EU Settlement Scheme please see the UK Council for International Student Affairs webpages.

Please note that the deadline for applying to the scheme is 30 June 2021, if you are living in the UK by 31 December 2020 – although we do advise those that are eligible to apply as soon as possible.

If you are enrolled on a Tavistock and Portman course and are currently outside the UK, you may be required to apply for a Student Visa in advance of travelling to the UK.  Please be aware that the application process can take some time. 

However – it may be possible for you to apply for settled or pre-settled status while you are outside the UK, if you meet the eligibility criteria.  Please refer to the UK government information for further details. 

Tuition fees for EU & EEA and Swiss Nationals

The rules on tuition fee charging rates and Student Support funding for EU, EEA and Swiss nationals starting programmes from Autumn 2021 are changing. 

We have taken the advice below from the UKCISA website and we would strongly advise that you read the infomration that is held on this page.

If you are an EU student already enrolled on Tavistock and Portman course, Brexit will not affect your fees status. You will be charged the Home fee amount for the duration of your course. If your course ends after 31 December 2020 and you have not already,  you should apply for the EU Settlement Scheme. Please note: If you are on a course that has a second or third follow on course after it, the Home fee status will not apply to the subsequent course(s) only the course that you started pre-31 December 2020.

If you are an EU student with settled or pre-settled status in the UK and will enrol on a course from September 2021 , you may be eligible for Home fee status.  In order to do so, you must fulfil the criteria below:

1. You must have protected rights (please see below)

2. You  must be an EU national on the first day of the first academic year of the course 

3. You must have been ordinarily resident in the UK and Islands for the full three-year period before the first day of the first academic year of the course. For example, if the course begins in October 2021 you must have been ordinarily resident in the UK and Islands from 1 September 2018 to 31 August 2021

4. You cannot include full-time education as being an ordinary resident. If the main purpose of your residence for the three-year period was to receive full-time education, you must have been ordinarily resident in the UK / EEA / Switzerland / the overseas territories (these include Gibraltar) the day before the start of the three-year period.

5.You  must be ordinarily resident in the UK on the first day of the first academic year of the course. 

To have protected rights you (the student) must be in one of the following categories

A: You must have pre-settled status or settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme

B: You are an Irish citizen who “exercised their right to reside in the UK in accordance with EU law before the end of the transition period and continues to reside thereafter’’

C: You are still waiting for a decision on an application you made under the EU Settlement Scheme before the end of 30 June 2021.

New EU students who do not have settled or pre-settled status who enrol on a Tavistock and Portman course from September 2021,  will no longer be eligible for Home fee status and will be charged the international fee level for the duration of their course.

Share this page

For more information please see:

UKCISA Website