Course 2: Perinatal Training for Community and Inpatient Perinatal Mental Health Practitioners
This five day course has been developed in line with the perinatal mental health competency framework, the course will address a range of topics to equip participants with the knowledge and skills necessary in their role as a perinatal mental health clinician.
A series of presentations, led by visiting lecturers and other expert contributors, will cover the complex range of relationships that perinatal mental health practitioners have to consider, alongside an overview of maternal psychiatric conditions and their treatments. The importance of the baby’s perspective will be considered throughout all aspects of the course. The course will have formal teaching sessions with group exercises, case discussions and opportunities for networking.
This course is also available as bespoke training and can be delivered in your local area. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
The course will cover the following areas:
The perinatal mental health practitioner
- Understanding the “perinatal frame of mind”
- Working within a perinatal mental health multidisciplinary team
- Understanding how a baby’s personality develops
- Understanding unconscious defensive processes
- Understanding “attachment behaviour”
- Understanding one’s own emotional responses
- Working with risk
- Working with multiple agencies
- Keeping the partner/father and family in mind
- “Cultural competence” in the perinatal context: what does this mean?
- Contributing to clinical decision-making
- Maternal anxiety and OCD
- Post partum psychosis
- Schizophrenia and bipolar affective disorder
- Personality disorder
- Eating disorders
- Substance disorders
- Medication and physical treatments
- Psychological therapies
- Physical health in pregnancy and postnatally
- Infant physical health and development
Dates for this training are to be confirmed; however, we can also run the course in your local area.
To be confirmed
Sign up to our perinatal mailing listSign up
This 3-day course has been developed in line with the perinatal mental health competency framework and will address the complex issues facing...Find out more
Perinatal mental disorders may require the management of extreme risk to a mother and her baby. This 2-day course aims to enhance the skills and...Find out more
This is a two day course in Perinatal Mental Health for psychologists and therapists in CAMHS and adult mental health teams which has been...Find out more
If you have any queries, please contact us at