Perinatal Training for Community and Inpatient Perinatal Mental Health Practitioners
This five day course has been developed in line with the perinatal mental health competency framework, and will address a range of topics to equip participants with the knowledge and skills necessary in their role as a perinatal mental health clinician. This course is specifically designed for clinicians working in Specialist Community Perinatal Teams or Mother and Baby Units (MBUs).
A series of presentations, led by visiting lecturers and other expert contributors, will cover the complex range of relationships that perinatal mental health practitioners have to consider, alongside an overview of maternal psychiatric conditions and their treatments. The importance of the baby’s perspective will be considered throughout all aspects of the course. The course will have formal teaching sessions with group exercises and case discussions.
This course is specifically designed for clinicians working in Specialist Community Perinatal Teams or Mother and Baby Units (MBUs). It is particularly beneficial for Nurses, Social Workers, Occupational Therapists and Psychologists who are new to working within these services.
The course will cover the following areas:
The perinatal mental health practitioner
- Understanding the “perinatal frame of mind”
- Working within a perinatal mental health multidisciplinary team
- Understanding how a baby’s personality develops
- Understanding unconscious defensive processes
- Understanding “attachment behaviour”
- Understanding one’s own emotional responses
- Working with risk
- Working with multiple agencies
- Keeping the partner/father and family in mind
- “Cultural competence” in the perinatal context: what does this mean?
- Contributing to clinical decision-making
- Maternal anxiety and OCD
- Post partum psychosis
- Schizophrenia and bipolar affective disorder
- Personality disorder
- Eating disorders
- Substance disorders
- Medication and physical treatments
- Psychological therapies
- Physical health in pregnancy and postnatally
- Infant physical health and development
This course meets the Perinatal Competency framework domains as detailed here
The fee per person when commissioning individual places on this course is £1200 per person.
For further information or if you have any queries, please contact us at email@example.com.
Sign up to our perinatal mailing listSign up
Mental health problems affect one in five in women in the perinatal period requiring effective assessment and management to reduce the risk of...Find out more
If you have any queries, please contact us at